Please help Santa make a wonderful magical day for all the children who are too unwell to go home for Christmas with donations of new toys and gifts as part of Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust’s annual toy appeal.
Among Santa’s many visits on Christmas Day he is seen on the Children’s Wards at University Hospital Lewisham (UHL) and Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) in Woolwich with a bulging sack of goodies for the children which have all been kindly donated by members of the public.
Alongside Rudolph, two other of Santa’s helpers are Sharon Justice and Carol Sullivan-Wallace who are Play Specialists at the Trust, said:
“We have been running this campaign for a few years now and have always had an amazing response from people who are very generous with their donations. No family wants their child to spend Christmas Day in hospital so we try to do everything we can to make their day as enjoyable as possible and lots of presents go a long way to making it special!”
The Charlton (Greenwich Retail Park) and Lewisham branches of Matalan, the clothing and homeware store, are kindly supporting the toy appeal this year by offering customers the opportunity to purchase extra gifts in store, which will be delivered onto the Children’s wards in time for Christmas.
In addition to giving via Matalan you can bring your gifts to one of the Trust’s hospitals and drop them at the New To You shop (near Main Reception) at UHL, or to the Main Reception at QEH, and place them in the large red containers.
For infection control and safety reasons, the hospital cannot accept nearly new or second hand gifts – so please do make sure your donation is new, unwrapped and toys must have the correct CE safety mark.
Notes to editors
Further information regarding donations:
- The presents are not to be wrapped
- All toys and gifts have to be new for children aged 0-16
- All toys need to have the right CE safety mark on them which means they comply with European Regulations.
- Gifts can be taken to either of the Trust’s hospital sites:
- New To You shop near Main Reception, University Hospital Lewisham, Lewisham High Street, London, SE13 6LH
- Main Reception, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Stadium Road, London, SE18 4QH
- Gifts can also be purchased at the following Matalan store branches:
- Charlton Store, Greenwich Retail Park, Bugsby's Way, Charlton, SE7 7ST
- Lewisham Store, Thurston Road, Loampit Vale, Lewisham, London SE13 7SN
- Any unsuitable donations for the Toy Appeal will be given to the Trust’s onsite charity shops