Information for Dads and Partners
Information for dads and partners
If you're the partner of a pregnant woman, the closer the two of you are the more you'll be able to share the experience of pregnancy and birth. You can look at the information on different weeks of pregnancy to see what happens to a pregnant woman and her unborn baby throughout pregnancy.
This checklist may be useful for the final weeks:
- make sure you can be contacted at all times
- decide how you'll get to the hospital (if you have arranged a hospital birth)
- if you're using your own car, make sure it works and has petrol, and do a trial run to see how long it takes to get from your house to the hospital
- remember to pack a bag for yourself, including snacks, a camera, and your phone or change for the telephone
Partners are now able to stay overnight on the delivery suite, birth centre and our antenatal and postnatal wards. If you have planned a hospital birth, pack a change of clothes for you and your partner.
The Expectant Fathers' Programme
The Expectant Fathers Programme is the longest running fully evaluated program of its kind. The programme is academically proven to increase confidence and competence in fathering skills. Research shows that when fathers are involved with their children from the beginning, their children do better socially and academically.
The programme consists of a 1 day course on a Saturday 10am-4pm covering:
• Practical Skills learning how to hold, feed, bath, change and bond with baby.
• Why fathers are important and what kind of father do you want to be?
• Impact on relationships (partner/work/friends).
• Midwifes question and answer session – an opportunity to ask any question about the birthing experience to an experienced midwife.
• Enhance your competence and confidence in your new role as a father
• Prepare you to engage more actively in the pregnancy
• Introduce practical skills you will need with your baby
• Highlight your importance & help you discover the kind of father you want to be
To apply for course please see our website for dates and how to book on. www.efprogramme.co.uk or email email@example.com.
How do you rate us?
In June, 100% of women who completed our Friends and Family Test would recommend Lewisham Birth Centre to Friends and Family
In in doubt, call the midwife!
It is now even easier to speak to one of our midwives to answer any questions you may have about pregnancy, birth or your newborn baby with our new Maternity Helpline:
020 8836 4491
Midwives In Mothercare!
Midwives from Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust will be coming to a Mothercare near you as part of the My Mothercare Expectant Parent Events.
These evenings will be a fun, friendly and supportive place for expectant parents learn more about essential baby products and key parenting topics from experts and healthcare professionals.
To see the events schedule and book your place, please click on the link below: