Diabetes Services in Lewisham
We have a dedicated multi-disciplinary team who provide a comprehensive service for all types of diabetes.
We provide a wide range of services and specialist clinics and have recently developed an insulin pump service. The Community Team provides diabetes clinics in both the hospital and community and an outreach service for housebound patients.
Lewisham Hospital – Suite 9, a purpose built diabetes department (Yellow Zone)
You can call Suite 9 on 020 8333 3091.
Who is the service for?
The Diabetes Services at Lewisham Hospital are provided for everyone with diabetes who needs specialist services.
What conditions does the service treat?
- Type 1 Diabetes over the age of 18years
- Complex Type 2 diabetes
- Diabetes with renal disease
- Diabetic Foot disease
- Diabetes in pregnancy
- Cystic fibrosis in diabetes
- Thyroid disease
- Calcium disorders
- Pituitary disease
- Adrenal disease
- Endocrinology in pregnancy
What services are provided?
Specialist clinics provided in Diabetes
- Intensive type 1 diabetes clinic
- Multidisciplinary Diabetes pump clinics
- Diabetes specialist nurse clinics
- Diabetic foot and joint diabetes vascular clinics
- Diabetic eye screening
- Diabetic ante- natal clinics
- Transitional diabetes clinics
- Renal diabetes clinics
- Cystic fibrosis related diabetes clinics
- Walk in services for patients referred by GP – admission avoidance
- Specialist in- patient diabetes nursing team
- Specialist Diabetes Dietetics Department
- Structured Education for Type 1 Diabetes (DAFNE) 1 week course and recently established -1 day over 5 weeks
- Structured Education for Type 2 Diabetes - DESMOND (Diabetes Education & Self Management for Ongoing & Newly Diagnosed Diabetes)
- General Practice Support:
- Expert advice, case discussion and support are available through a practice visit, participation in multidisciplinary team meetings, joint clinics, and advice over the telephone.
- Education Sessions for: GPs, practice nurses, district nurses, community nurses and in-patient staff
- Diabetes Evening Forums
General endocrinology clinics
Joint gynecology endocrinology clinics
General Lipidology Clinics
How can you get a referral?
Patients are referred via their GP, practice or district nurse and then an appointment will be sent.
What else do you need to know?
- Patients need to bring an up to date list of medications, and home blood sugar monitoring records if any. If the patient is on insulin they should bring their insulin pens.
- Patients should try to arrive at least 15 minutes before their appointment.
Why choose the Lewisham Diabetes Service?
- We provide highly specialised care in Diabetes, Endocrinology and Lipid Medicine.
- We offerpatient centred care provided by an experienced multidisciplinary team of specialist nurses, doctors, dieticians podiatrists and surgeons.
- We deliver excellent care for all our patients continually striving to improve and develop our services for the benefit of our local population