Children's Day Care Unit
The Children's Day Care Unit, Woodland, was opened in September 2010 and provides 16 beds/cots for both surgical and medical day cases.
The unit also sees children for minor tests, reviews, changes of dressing and many other minor procedures.
This new facility has a bright, cheerful and child friendly atmosphere, and overlooks the lovely Lewisham Park. The unit is staffed by a team of eight very experienced children nurses, as well as surgeons, anaesthetists, medical doctors and play specialists.
The unit has a pre-admission programme which provides children and their carers with the opportunity to visit the unit and discuss any concerns so as to alleviate pre-operative anxiety.
How do we make the process of day surgery as straightforward as possible?
- Pre-admission phone calls to the parents of children coming in for general surgery, where the nurse will go through a list of checks and information to cover all areas appropriate to ensure everything runs smoothly on the day of the surgery
- Children with high anxiety or phobia issues can have one-to-one session with the play specialist
- Both parents are able to accompany their child to theatre
- All children are seen and reviewed by the surgeon post-operatively
- Parents are given written and verbal information at the pre-admission clinic and before discharge.
- Pre-pack TTO’s are dispensed from the unit to speed up the discharge process
- If for any medical reasons the child is not fit for discharge he/she will be transferred to the Children Inpatient Ward in the hospital
- There is a fully-equipped playroom with modern electronic games and equipment (donated by the STARLIGHT foundation), supervised by a highly experienced play specialist
- A substantial parking discount is available at the Hospital
- The CDCU also has a nurse-led ENT pre-admission clinic which runs twice a week. In this clinic the child’s procedure will be explained to carers and the nurse will run through the day event.In addition, the child and carer will be shown around the unit and introduced to the staff
Where is the Children's Day Care Unit located?
The unit is situated on the 2nd floor of the Green Zone at Lewisham Hospital.
Who is the Children's Day Care Unit for?
The unit is for children from 0 – 16 years requiring minor general surgery, as well as ENT, orthopaedic and ophthalmology procedures.
It is also suitable for children from 0 -16 years requiring changes of dressing, IV antibiotics, special infusion therapy, portacath accessing, special tests and immunisations, in addition to children with sickle-cell requiring blood transfusion.
How can you receive treatment at the Children's Day Care Unit?
You will need to be referred by your GP and an appointment will be made for you with a surgeon/specialist who will see you at their clinic in the Children Outpatient Department at University Hospital Lewisham.
Referrals can also be made by a health visitor or school nurse for a one-to-one session with the play specialist.
How can you contact the department?
Monday – Friday (7.30am - 8.30pm)
T: 0208 333 3142
All other times (including weekends and bank holidays)
T: 0208 333 3015
Admission Co-ordinator - Julia McGill
T: 0208 333 3132
Clinical Nurse Manager - Lynne Mould
T: 020 8333 3000 ext 8599
Who are the key staff?
Lynne Mould (Clinical Nurse Manager)
What else do you need to know?
- We are open Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays) from 7.30am - 8.30pm. Outside of these hours the phone is diverted to the CIW 0208 3333015
- We operate an open visiting policy for parents, carers and close relatives, which means that within the unit opening hours, family members are able to visit. Visiting is resricted to two visitors at any one time and we discourage people from bringing other children in to minimise the risk of infection.
- Snack Boxes are available for children after their surgery. The snack boxes include sandwiches, crisps, yoghurts, fruits and drinks. We also have toast and a variety of cereals available. For children with special dietary or food allergy, parents will have to bring their own food in.
- There is a lounge/kitchenette for parents and tea and coffee is available to parents for no charge. Parents can purchase food and drinks from the hospital restaurant with a wide selection of menu or snacks from the 2 coffee/snack bars.
Join Our Team Today
We are looking for passionate, dedicated and vibrant nurses to become part of our paediatric team.
With vacancies across a number of specialities, and lots to offer new recruits, there is no better time to join us.
You can find out more about the roles that are available via the link below.