Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery
We now provide Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Service at Lewisham Hospital.
We have a full multidisciplinary team and can offer a one stop assessment with a consultant bariatric surgeon (Ms Cynthia Borg, Mr Midhat Siddiqui), a specialist nurse, a dietician and a consultant anaesthetist. We will be offering the full range of bariatric procedures including laparoscopic gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy and gastric banding. We also have a comprehensive post-operative follow-up pathway.
We will be accepting referrals for patients who fulfil the NICE1 and current commissioning guidelines2. These are:
- Patients aged 18 or over1,
- BMI ≥ 40 kg/m2 or BMI ≥ 35 kg/m2 with other significant disease including type 2 diabetes mellitus, sleep apnoea, hypertension and benign intracranial hypertension1
- The patient has had a BMI of 30 or more for 5 years or more2,
- The patient has complied with a specialist Tier 3/4 non-surgical weight loss programme for a period of 12 months or more (BMI: 35-49) 2. If BMI ≥ 50, the minimum acceptable period for weight loss programme is six months2.
- The patient commits to need for long term follow up and has no history of drug/alcohol abuse or dependence1
We suggest that patients have their fasting lipids and fasting glucose, FBC, U&E, creatinine, B12, folate, calcium and Vit D checked prior to referral and that these tests are included in the referral letter.
For more information please get in touch with Miss Cynthia Borg on 020 8333 3169 or Mr Midhat Siddiqui on 020 8836 6000 extension 5484 or email LH.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bariatric Support Group
We now run a Bariatric Support Group to assist people who are planning to have, or have had, weight loss surgery.